How much loan can one get? from HELB Kenya

1 min read

1. Helb Undergraduate Loans

Q: How much loan can one get?
Ans: In accordance with the current cost sharing policy, a student is required to pay Kshs.50,000/- per year to train at a public university. Out of this amount, HELB can award a maximum loan and bursary of Kshs.50,000/- and  a bursary of Kshs.8,000.

Q. How do I check for my loan
1. Access the HELB website enter your ID number
2. Send an email to requesting for your statement to

3. Call HELB on 0722052000

4. Email

Q: When can one apply for a HELB loan?
Ans: HELB places advertisements in the print media in which it invites applications for loans. The Board maintains a deadline and those applications received after the deadline without justifiable reasons are not processed.

Q: When are loan awards released?
Ans: HELB releases loan results before the new academic year starts. Thereafter, students who fail to secure a loan or are awarded inadequate amounts are encouraged to appeal. Each appeal is reviewed on its own merit.
If one fails to get a loan, the following could be possible reasons:
The student may not have provided adequate information about him/herself as requested.
The student may have provided false information on the loan application form.

Technical, Vocational & Education Training [TVET] loans and bursaries are awarded to students pursuing technical courses in the public TVET Institutions recognized by the Ministry of Education [MoE], a member of The Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions [KATTI] and placed by Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service [KUCCPS]





1. Who is eligible for a HELB Technical, Vocational Education & Training [TVET] Loan?

i. Students in the public Technical, Vocational & Education Training [TVET] Institutes recognized by the Ministry of Education [MoE], a member of The Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions [KATTI] and placed by Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service [KUCCPS]

ii. Direct Entry Self-Sponsored Students in the public Technical, Vocational & Education Training [TVET] Institutes recognized by the Ministry of Education [MoE], a member of The Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions [KATTI]

2. How do I know if the college is a member of KATTI

Log in to to download the list of colleges who are members of KATTI

3. How do you apply?

a. Visit to register.

b. Log in, select and fill in the required Loan Application Form [either First Time or subsequent] for the respective program [TVET, Undergraduate or Continuing education] from the HELB website.

c. Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form.

d. Have the form appropriately filled, signed and stamped by the relevant authorities and guarantors [for first time applicants only] and by the Dean [for subsequent applicants]

e. Sign the form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist appearing on the last page of the Loan Application Form.

f. Present one copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents at any of the following:

i. Select Huduma Centres: Nairobi, Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi [Kapsabet], Thika, Garissa, Kitale and Muranga for free and secure delivery to HELB Head Office.

ii. HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine One [M1], Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi

g. Retain one copy of the duly filled loan application form

Remember: The HELB Loan Application process is free. Do not pay anyone to process your HELB Loan.

4. I don’t have an ID card; can I apply for a HELB loan?

Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. The national ID is proof of attainment of majority age. The HELB Loan Application form is a contract and legally we are not in a position to enter into a contract with a minor.

5. Is it compulsory to apply for a HELB loan?

No. You should apply for a HELB loan only if you are in need of the funds

6. What is the applicable interest rate and when does it start to accrue?

The interest is currently 4% per annum for direct entry students and 12% for all salaried applicants. The interest will start to accrue immediately after the first disbursement

7. Am I eligible for a loan in 2nd year if I did not apply in 1st year?

Yes you are. However one will be required to apply as a first time applicant during the first time applications window

8. What if I was awarded a loan but it is not enough, can I request for additional funds

Yes, if you have a genuine need for additional funds, you can appeal amounts awarded to you by completing the loan review [appeal] form on

9. If I discontinue my education, do I have to pay amount awarded to me even if I didn’t complete my education?

Yes, once you are awarded a HELB loan, you will be required to fully repay the amount in accordance with the terms & conditions as well as the interest accrued thereafter and penalties incurred [if any]

10. I have a sibling who didn’t qualify for HELB loan. Can I share the amount I was awarded with him/her then we share repayment?

Tuition is disbursed directly to the loan applicant’s learning institution. However, any willing individual can help you repay your HELB Loan.

11. What if I can’t remember my password for the HELB Online Portal?

Use the “forgot password” option available on the portal to recover your account

12. What if I can’t see the HELB portal activation link on my email?

Please check your junk or spam emails

13. Why is my application form defective?

If any or all of the following are missing then the application is defective and your form will not be processed:

a. Missing signatures and stamps: i.e. applicants’ signature, parents/guardian, priest, Chief or Assistant chief, Commissioner of Oaths or Magistrate and bank. Please note that signatures and stamping is mandatory.

b. Missing documents: if any of the documents on the checklist haven’t been attached then the form will be termed defective. These include: KCSE result slip, Admission letter; if orphaned, copy/copies of parent/s death certificate; if sponsored in High school, a confirmation letter from the school or sponsor and a colored passport size photo which is to be attached to the form before submission.

c. Scanned copies: the forms to be submitted should be the original copies and not scanned copies, if one submits the scanned copy then it is termed defective since it’s not the original.

d. 2nd & Subsequent loan application forms: All the subsequent application forms MUST be signed and stamped by the Dean of students.


In case of any queries:

Website: |Student Service Centre, Mezzanine 1 – University Way, Nairobi

Email: | Tel: 0711052000 | Facebook & Twitter: @HELBPage |


Comments (2)

  • at
  • 02/Oct/17 09:20am

i applied for a loan but i was never given

Type the above code here
  • at
  • 23/Nov/18 11:04am

how's 3rd subsequent TVETLOAN are being disburse? is all allocated amount goes direct to institution account? or some goes to students account?

Type the above code here

Leave a Comment

Type the above code here

Read Next

Official Frontier Institute of Professional and Management Studies Contacts, Courses ,intakes ,fee structures and Location 2018

1 min read

Official frontier institute of professional and management studies contacts p. o. box 972 – 70100 garissacourses offered at frontier institute of professional and management studies 1. diploma in...

Continue reading

Take initiative of confirming forms 34A . Before you comment

1 min read

Uhuru kenyatta8,170,016 votes (54.26%)raila odinga6,754,173 votes (44.85%)  i have confirmed forms 34a of 2 stations near my home are tallying with those in iebc website take the initiative...

Continue reading

Official Komirmir Vocational Training Centre Contacts, Courses ,intakes ,fee structures and Location 2018

1 min read

Official komirmir vocational training centre contacts box: 471 code: 20406courses offered at komirmir vocational training centre1. ttg iii-i in masonry (nita)for a maximum of 20 trainees2. ttg iii-i...

Continue reading

ITAX Kenya : This Is What KRA Said About Tax Deadline and Penalties

1 min read

This is what kra said about tax deadline and penalties the kenya revenue authority has released a statement indicating they are not going to extend deadline for tax returns. this means the penalt...

Continue reading

Sunday Morning Prayer

1 min read

Sunday morning prayerin the name of the father, and of the son and of the holy spirit. amen.god of mercy, full of grace and worthy of our praise, welcome us in your presence this morning as we come be...

Continue reading

philippine daily inquirer

1 min read

The philippine daily inquirer is undeniably the country’s most credible and influential newspaper, with more than one million nationwide readers daily. distinguished by award-giving bodies like...

Continue reading