difference between race and ethnicity
- What is the difference between race and ethnicity, and what has been the socio- political significance of this difference?
- What is the difference between racism and implicit bias? Which best explains the results in the famous study, “Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination"? (http://www2.econ.iastate.edu/classes/econ321/orazem/bertrand_emily.pdf )
- You are having a conversation with an acquaintance who makes an argument to the effect that "race is in our DNA." We know this is not true. How would you respond to this person, in hopes of helping them see why their position is misguided? (If you have ever actually had this conversation, you may reflect on it as part of your response.)
- Explain what Du Bois means in the passage: “Merely a test of the underlying principles of the great republic is the Negro Problem”?
Below I have attached the qualified reading you can use to answer the questions. These questions should be answered in 230 or more.
- Hattam describes how Jews and Mexicans raised difficult questions for census makers in the first decades of the 20th century. Take one of these cases (Jews OR Mexicans), and explain why census makers had a hard time fitting this group into the prevailing racial paradigm, and how they attempted to resolve this challenge. What was the ultimate outcome of this?
- On p. 648-649, Walzer describes the tension between republicanism (referring to the principle, not the political party) and pluralism. Explain this tension and then reflect on how it relates to the current controversy surrounding NFL players who "take the knee," link arms, or otherwise protest during the National Anthem at football games. I am NOT asking you whether you support these protests; I am asking you to analyze these protests, and the responses they have elicited, in light of Walzer's text.