Kenya Medical Training College- Kisii started as an institution training dressers /nurse aides in 1958 under the colonial government. After independence, the institution commenced the structured training of enrolled nurses (EN) in 1972, and later in 1980 a certificate course for Enrolled community health nurses (ECHN). In 1999 the college upgraded to offer Diploma in Registered Community Health Nursing (KRCHN) with two intakes of nursing students in March and September of each calendar year.
In 2000 the college stated offering Diploma in Clinical Medicine and in September 2007 the college further developed to train Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences The training facilities had been developed by the government and equipment worth Kenya shillings nine (9) million had been acquired . The Laboratory was renovated through the support of JHPIEGO which has enabled our students have quality training.
Medical training college, Kisii is one of the 42 constituent colleges of the Kenya Medical Training College who’s Headquarters is in Nairobi. We are located in Kisii County within Kisii Central Business District.
The college is situated along the Kisii Hospital road and is adjacent to the main Kisii Teaching and Referral Hospital.
It lies on 3.56 hectares land of which the lease certificate is available.
The institution is managed by the executive committee under the chairmanship of the Principal. The Management Committee compost of all heads of departments is in place to spearhead interdepartmental collaboration and teamwork. The operational activities are coordinated by various committees.
The organogram is as shown below