Total Execution Time red next:
How to cook pilau Ingredients and procedure
1 min read
Total Execution Time content:
- 1 Large Onion(Finely Chopped)
- 2-3 Garlic cloves(Crushed and chopped)
- Small piece Root Ginger (Chopped)
- 3 Tbs Pilau Masala(or according to taste)
- 1/2 Kg Boneless Beef(tender and cut in small pieces)
- 4 Tomatoes(diced very small) Blended gives better results
- 2 Cups Rice
- 3 Cups Hot Water
- Tomato paste(optional) Do not use together with tomatoes(its not necessary)
- Cook the onion and ginger on a medium heat with a suitable pan/pot and allow to brown. The browning is the trick to a nice pilau.
- Add the meat and cook till its almost ready while pan/pot is covered. It should take about 3 min if the meat is tender and if not keep cooking till the meat is softened.
- Add the pilau masala powder, salt and stir. If the meat has dried out, add a little water to prevent the meat from sticking.
- Allow to cook then add the finely diced tomato. (If you can blend the tomatoes it would give you better results).
- When using diced tomatoes add a little water to ensure the tomato is cooked and you have a thick sauce before you add the rice.
- Add the rice and stir and ensure it's all mixed up.
- Add the water. Cover and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer and slowly cook while covered.
- After about 5 minutes of cooking, give the rice a stir and cover. Repeat this while the rice is still wet and its just to ensure all the rice cooks evenly and doesn't stick on the bottom.
- Rice is cooked after about 13 minutes depending on the rice type and if it has dried up before its cooked, add a little water to steam it till cooked but not mashy!
- Use a long grain rice but not necessarily and expensive one. If you get this right you should be able to enjoy your pilau and since it is a dry dish by itself, complement it with a salad on the side.
- I have a pictorial guide on how to make this, have you seen it on my photos?
Total Execution Time social :