How to apply for TSC Annual Leave,Special Leave,Study Leave,Sick Leave ,Compassionate Leave,Paternity Leave and download forms

3 min read

Maternity Leave

A female teacher is entitled to 90 calendar days maternity leave from the date of confinement. This leave is exclusive of annual leave. The application for leave should be submitted to the DEO/MEO/DCE through the head of institution at least one month before the leave is due and must have supporting medical documents.

Paternity Leave

A male teacher can apply for paternity leave of up to 10 days within the period of spouse’s maternity leave. Where a teacher has more than one wife, he will be entitled to the leave in respect to the one whose name appears in the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) Card. The application for leave should be submitted to the DEO/MEO/DCE through the head of institution attaching a letter of the spouse’s confinement.


Compassionate Leave
  1. A teacher is allowed a maximum of 15 days compassionate leave in one calendar year to attend to special needs such as bereavement, sickness or hospitalization of dependants.
  2. Teachers should apply to the head of institution or agent for approval
Sick Leave

If a teacher is unable to attend duty due to illness, he/she will be required to:

  1. Apply for sick leave through the head of institution within 48 hours for out patient and not later than seven days for inpatient.
  2. Attach relevant medical documents signed by a registered medical practitioner.

A teacher on permanent terms of service is entitled to three months sick leave with full pay which can be extended to three months with half pay. Any further extension will be without pay until one is able to resume duty.

A teacher on temporary terms of service will qualify for one month sick leave with full pay and one month with half pay, thereafter no pay until one is able to resume duty.

Where one has been on sick leave beyond six months he/she will be posted from TSC Headquarters upon production of a certificate of medical fitness. Sick leave not applied for within the stipulated time will be regarded as absence without permission.


Study Leave

Study leave will be granted in line with the policy existing from time to time.

Procedure of applying for study leave
  1. The application should be forwarded to the Commission at least one month before the commencement date.
  2. An application should be accompanied by the admission letter.
  3. A teacher should not proceed on leave before approval and formal release.
  4. Once granted, leave should be utilized for the approved purpose failure to which disciplinary action will be taken.
  5. Teachers should report for posting 30 days before expiry of the leave and provide evidence of having undertaken studies.
  6. Those on study leave lasting less than six months should report back to their stations for allocation of duties. Their heads of institutions should inform the Commission immediately.
  1. Teachers who are granted study leave with pay will be bonded to work for the commission as follows:
  2. For courses lasting six months but less than one year will be bonded for a period of one year.
  3. For courses lasting less than two years will be bonded for two year.
  4. Those attending courses lasting two years or more will be bonded for three years.

Where a teacher under bond obligation chooses to terminate his/her service, he/she will be required to pay in full the total cost of training, the salaries and allowances paid to him/her while on study leave.

Self-sponsored teachers will be required to repay an amount equivalent to the salaries and allowances paid to them while on study leave. The bond will not be applicable to those who have proceeded on unpaid study leave.


Special Leave
  • The Commission may grant special leave with pay to a teacher who has been selected to attend a meeting, conference or seminar of short duration which is of national interest or relevant to the teachers’ duties.
  • The Commission may also grant special leave without pay to an officer who is obliged to be away from duty station.
  • Teachers applying for special leave should do so in writing attaching relevant documents.
  • Teachers should not leave the station before leave is approved.
Leave to Spouses of Diplomats

A teacher whose spouse is a diplomat will qualify for unpaid leave during the period of the spouse’s assignment of duty outside Kenya. Application for the leave should be accompanied by the letter of spouses posting.


Annual Leave
  • A teacher is entitled to 42 days annual leave, which should be taken during school holidays.
  • A teacher who is not on annual leave is assumed to be on duty even during school holidays.
Total Execution Time content: 0.00058158238728841 Mins Total Execution Time social : 0.0001 Mins

Read Next

Total Execution Time red next: 0.0000 Mins

Search Now