STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE IN OPENING A CBK
-CDS ACCOUNT FOR KENYANS IN DIASPORA
N.B: Please note that ONLY Kenyans living in the diaspora and who hold a local
(Kenyan) commercial bank account are eligible to apply for a CDS account directly at
Central Bank of Keny
a (CBK). Non-Kenyans and Kenyans without a local commercial
bank account can however still invest in Kenya government securities as nominees of
authorised CBK agents which include commercial banks, investment banks and stock
brokers domiciled in Kenya.
1.Visit the Central Bank of Kenya website
mandate card. (Individual) for individual investors and Mandate card (Corporate) for
2. Print the appropriate mandate card and fill out your details.
3. Attach a recently taken coloured passport size photograph and a copy of investor’s Kenyan National Identity Card (ID) or Passport
. These documents MUST be certified by your bankers (A local commercial bank based in Kenya).
4. Have the filled in CDS mandate card certified by your Commercial bank
5. The investors Commercial bank will certify the completed CDS mandate card by way of appending the bank’s stamp and signatures of two of their authorised signatories on the space provided
6. Scan the completed CDS mandate card and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Send the physical mandate and attachments by post
to: The Director,
Financial Markets Department
P.O. Box 60000-00200, Nairobi, Kenya
8. Once the CDS account has been opened, the investor will be notified of the CDS
account number via email as provided on the CDS mandate card submitted to CBK. A
formal letter of notification will follow thereafter.
GUIDLINES FOR SUBMISSION OF BIDS (APPLICATION) FOR THE BOND
1. Once the investor has been allocated and notified of their CDS account number, they
can then proceed to apply for the Treasury bond that is on offer.
To apply for the bond, download the bond application form www.centralbank.go.ke/images/docs/forms/modm/TREASURYBONDSFORM-2016.pdf
3. Fill in the following key details:
• Issue Number
• Value date
• Total Face Value
Amount the investor is willing to invest in Kenya Shillings
• (Minimum Kes 100,000 and additional in Multiples of Kes. 50,000 with a maximum
of Kes 20 million per CDS account per investor for)
• Interest Rate (Price)
4. Investor’s details -complete the investor’s details as provided required in the form. i.e.
Name, CDS Number, telephone contact etc.
5. Append a signature on the application form and email to email@example.com
6. Please note that the deadline for submission of application forms.
7. Do not make payments for the bond until notified by the Central Bank of Kenya of the
actual amount to pay. It is the responsibility of the investor to contact
Central Bank of
Kenya to obtain details of the tap sale results.
DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS FOR SUCCESSFUL APPLICATIONS
1. All successful applicants will be notified of the allocation and
Amount they are
required to pay
contacting Central Bank of Keny
a on Tel No. +254
MODE OF PAYMENT FOR SUCCESSFUL BIDS
1. Deadline for payment for successful bids is on
the following Monday
2. All successful applicants will be required to
pay the exact payable amount
3. Investors whose applications were successful will instruct their local commercial banks
to remit the payable amounts.
For any queries and information, please contact
Financial Markets Department
P.O. Box 60000